Check out our new Friendly Loom™ website! Home of all our potholder loops, looms and more.
Designer: Sarah Solomon
Bower is an oversized, open-front, drop-shoulder layering piece featuring foldover lapels adorned with mirrored traveling cables. Hidden inset pockets sit beneath the cable panels, and the lapels are joined to the hem with an I-cord Three-Needle Bind Off to create additional handwarmer pockets. The rest of the sweater is simple stockinette and rib, keeping the piece light in weight and maintaining focus on the bold cabled panels.
• Body pieces are worked flat, from the bottom up.
• Shoulders are shaped with short rows, then joined using a Modified Three-Needle Bind Off.
• Sleeves are picked up along armhole edge and worked flat down to cuff.
• Foldover Lapel is worked along with the Fronts, extended to create the collar, then joined using a Modified Three-Needle Bind Off and sewn to back neck.
• The Fronts use a combination of Long-Tail and provisional cast ons; the bottom of Lapel is joined to each Front during finishing using the I-cord Three-Needle Bind Off.
• Pocket linings are sewn closed, then sewn to the inside of each Front.
• A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of stitches.
• Stockinette sections have a garter stitch selvedge
A (B, C, D, E, F, G)
Bust: 38 ¼ (43 ½, 49, 54 ¼, 59 ½, 65, 70 ¼)" / 97 (110.5, 124.5, 138, 151, 165, 178.5) cm.
Harrisville Nightshades/Daylights (DK weight) 85% Cormo Wool; 15% wool/250 yards per 100 g skein
5 (6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 9) skeins, or 1250 (1405, 1545, 1645, 1750, 1900, 2040) yards of DK weight yarn
Shown in Daylights Lint
Main Fabric Needle: US 7 [4.50 mm]: 32" circular, and spare circulars and/or DPNs for pockets and finishing
Adjust your needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
18 sts and 26 rows = 4" / 10 cm in stockinette stitch on Main Fabric Needle, after wet-blocking
Yarnover Short Rows
Crochet Chain Provisional Cast On
Cable Cast On
I-Cord Three-Needle Bind Off
Modified Three-Needle Bind Off