(If this class is sold out and you want to be added to our waiting list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your contact info and the class name and date.)
Nov 8 - 12 (Mon - Fri, 9-4)
If you have always wanted to make the clothes YOU envision in your head, here is your chance! Using techniques from her book, Design-It- Yourself Clothes, Cal will teach you how to draft your own basic patterns based on the measurements of your own body. Then you will learn how to modify those patterns into endless variations. For each of the three styles, you will make a muslin, fit and correct your pattern, and finally sew at least one finished garment. Before you know it, you’ll have a whole new handmade wardrobe!
Skills Level: Students must be at least competent beginner-level sewists, and comfortable using a sewing machine. Intermediate and advanced sewists are also welcome and can take on more challenging projects. No previous patternmaking experience is necessary.
Students should bring their own machines. We may have one or two available, please contact us for availability.
- Sewing Machine
- Extension cord
- A pad of 18 x 24″ paper, or a roll at least 14″ wide (newsprint or drawing paper)
- Pencil, sharpener, eraser
- See-through 18″ ruler
- Tape measure
- Scissors (for cutting paper)
- Clear tape
- 2+ yards medium-weight cotton or other woven fabric* (for skirt)
- 3+ yards medium-weight cotton or other woven fabric* (for dress)
- 2+ yards cotton jersey or similar knit fabric (for T-shirt)
- 4 yards muslin (or inexpensive cotton woven fabric which could become a "wearable muslin")
- 2 yards inexpensive jersey/knit (for t-shirt muslin)
- Thread (all-purpose) to match all fabrics
- 14″ or longer invisible zipper to match dress
- 7" invisible zipper to match skirt
- Invisible zipper foot for your machine (I recommend the YKK brand or the brand of your sewing machine)
- 1 package single-fold bias tape to match dress (1/2″ wide)
- 1 package single-fold bias tape to match skirt (1/2″ wide)
- Basic sewing kit: scissors, pins & cushion, tape measure, seam ripper, tailor’s chalk.
in our store, including our floor looms.
To ensure the health, safety, and comfort of our 2021 students, we are requiring workshop participants – as well as teachers – to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to attending their scheduled class(es). (Note that we may ask students to provide proof of vaccination upon arrival.) We understand that this requirement may create challenges for certain individuals, but we appreciate your understanding during this demanding time.
Harrisville Designs remains committed to protecting teachers, students and staff from COVID-19, while still providing a creative, hands-on and inclusive experience. After last year’s hiatus, we’re very much looking forward to the upcoming workshop season – and hope you’ll be able to join us!