Make Your Own Wardrobe: Boxy Tee/Drapy Tunic, Lounge Pants and Shirt/Jacket with Cal Patch (8/16-8/20)
(If this class is sold out and you want to be added to our waiting list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your contact info and the class name and date.)
Aug 16 - 20 (Mon - Fri, 9-4)
If you have always wanted to make the clothes YOU envision in your head, here is your chance! Using techniques from her book, Design-It- Yourself Clothes, Cal will teach you how to draft your own basic patterns based on the measurements of your own body. Then you will learn how to modify those patterns into endless variations. For each of the three styles, you will make a muslin, fit and correct your pattern, and finally sew at least one finished garment. Before you know it, you’ll have a whole new handmade wardrobe!
- Sewing Machine
- Extension cord
- A pad of 18 x 24″ paper, or a roll at least 14″ wide (newsprint or drawing paper)
- Pencil, sharpener, eraser
- See-through 18″ ruler
- Optional: hip curve or French curve tool
- Tape measure
- Scissors (for cutting paper)
- Clear tape
- 2+ yards medium-weight cotton, linen or other woven fabric* (for boxy tee/drapy tunic)
- 2.5+ yards medium-weight cotton, linen or other woven fabric* (for pants)
- 2.5+ yards cotton shirting, linen, or heavier weight woven fabric (for shirt/jacket)
- 6+ yards muslin (or inexpensive cotton woven fabric which could become a "wearable muslin")
- 2 yards elastic for pants (at least 3/4" up to 2" wide)
- Thread (all-purpose) to match all fabrics
- 1 package (or 2 yards) single-fold bias tape to match boxy tee/drapy tunic (1/2" wide)
- Buttons for shirt/jacket
- Basic sewing kit: scissors, pins & cushion, tape measure, seam ripper, tailor’s chalk.
*Fabric should ideally be pre-washed and dried (as you will want to wash your handmade garment) to reduce or eliminate shrinkage. Muslin is optional to wash (if you want it to be a wearable muslin, washing is good!).
in our store, including our floor looms.
To ensure the health, safety, and comfort of our 2021 students, we are requiring workshop participants – as well as teachers – to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to attending their scheduled class(es). (Note that we may ask students to provide proof of vaccination upon arrival.) We understand that this requirement may create challenges for certain individuals, but we appreciate your understanding during this demanding time.
Harrisville Designs remains committed to protecting teachers, students and staff from COVID-19, while still providing a creative, hands-on and inclusive experience. After last year’s hiatus, we’re very much looking forward to the upcoming workshop season – and hope you’ll be able to join us!