(If this class is sold out and you want to be added to our waiting list; Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your contact info and the class name and date.)
Mon 6/22/2020, 9:00 AM to Fri 6/26/2020, 4:00 PM
If you have always wanted to make the clothes YOU envision in your head, here is your chance! Using the techniques from her book, Design-It-Yourself Clothes, Cal will teach you how to draft your own basic patterns for a T-shirt, skirt and shift dress based on the measurements of your unique body. Then you will learn how to take those patterns and stylize them into endless variations. For each of the three styles, you will make a muslin, fit and correct your pattern, and finally sew one or more finished garments. Before you know it, you’ll have a whole new handmade wardrobe! Students must be at least competent beginner-level sewers, and comfortable using a sewing machine. Intermediate and advanced sewers are also welcome and can take on more challenging projects. No previous patternmaking experience is necessary. You will need to bring your own sewing materials and machine.
- Sewing Machine
- Extension cord
- A pad of 18 x 24″ paper, or a roll at least 12″ wide (newsprint or drawing paper)
- Pencil, sharpener, eraser
- See-through 18″ ruler
- Tape measure
- Scissors (for cutting paper)
- Clear tape
- 2+ yards medium-weight cotton or other woven fabric* (for skirt)
- 3+ yards medium-weight cotton or other woven fabric* (for dress)
- 2+ yards cotton jersey or similar knit fabric (for T-shirt)
- 4 yards muslin (or inexpensive cotton woven fabric which could become a "wearable muslin")
- 2 yards inexpensive jersey/knit (for t-shirt muslin)
- Thread (all-purpose) to match all fabrics
- 14″ or longer invisible zipper to match dress
- 7" invisible zipper to match skirt
- Invisible zipper foot for your machine (I recommend the YKK brand or the brand of your sewing machine)
- 1 package single-fold bias tape to match dress (1/2″ wide)
- 1 package single-fold bias tape to match skirt (1/2″ wide)
- Basic sewing kit: scissors, pins & cushion, tape measure, seam ripper, tailor’s chalk.
in our store, including our floor looms.