Double Knit Buttonbands with Sarah Solomon
May 27 (Fri, 9am–4pm)
Homework: Please knit a swatch using worsted weight yarn and size 7 needles (or needles to get a fabric you like) as follows: Cast on 26 sts and work in K2, P2 rib for 1". Switch to stockinette stitch and work until swatch measures at least 5" long from cast-on edge. Please keep your selvedge edge stitches in stockinette stitch as well (do not slip any edge stiches). Bind off and wet or steam block. All swatches should be at least 4"x4"/10x10cm. See Supplies list below.
- the remainder of the skein you made your swatch with (you need enough to work two buttonband samples)
- a calculator (or a phone calculator)
- paper and pencil
- a yarn needle
- locking stitch markers
- double-pointed needles in size US 2 (or a size close to that if you just want to experiment with the technique; exact size is not vital)
- A circular needle 24" or longer in size US 2 for picking up stitches
- If you also have a sewing needle and either DMC, Pearl Cotton or quilter’s silk, these can be used when sewing on the buttons but it is not necessary to purchase these for class. You may also like to bring at least one 1/2"–5/8" button (with or without a shank) to try in your buttonhole.