Bavarian Twisted Stitch Knitting with Sarah Solomon
May 25-26 (Weds & Thurs, 9am–4pm)
Materials Needed: You will be provided with a skein of Harrisville Designs Daylights (100% American Cormo and wool) for our class samples. However, we will also be discussing how yarn choice affects our patterning so you may wish to bring a few different yarns and variety of needles to work them within case you wish to experiment. (The needle size you would use for stockinette stitch for a particular yarn is a fine size to bring).
- For beginning the technique it’s best to start with DK or worsted weight yarn in a lighter shade so you can see your stitches easily. Please do not bring multi-colored or novelty yarn. You may also bring additional thinner yarns if you would like to experiment further
- A bouncey yarn with no less than 80% wool and plenty of spring is ideal.
- A few recommendations: Harrisville Daylights, Blue Sky Fibers Woolstok, Brooklyn Tweed Shelter or Arbor, Cascade 220, O-Wool Worsted, Juniper Moon Santa Cruz
- Size 7 in 24" and 40" circular needle and double-pointed. Gauge will not be vital for our class swatches, we’re just looking for a needle size that works comfortably with our yarn. You may wish to bring a size 6 and a size 8 to try as well.
Needles with a sharp tip are recommended for ease of working the twisted stitches
- Cable needle
- ring stitch markers and locking stitch markers
- highlighter pens can be very helpful for marking charts